We cannot simply underestimate the power of a smile. Your smile can have a direct effect on your self-confidence because it is one of the first characteristics that people see in you. However, there are a number of factors that can affect the quality of our smile.
A healthy smile is associated with healthy oral health. While regular brushing and flossing are the most common dental practices that help keep the mouth, teeth, and gums in their best condition, there are several dental hacks that you can add to your oral care routine.
1. Drinking Ample Amounts of Water. Water does not only keep your body well-hydrated; it also helps wash out tiny food particles and bacteria, and neutralises the acid, sugar, and alcohol in your mouth. It keeps the mouth clean throughout the day if you are unable to brush or floss between meals.
2. Chewing on Xylitol Gum. If brushing is not an option after having a meal, chew gum. However, choose gum that contains Xylitol to keep the mouth healthy during the day. Xylitol is a compound that remineralises the teeth, hence strengthens the enamel and reduces the risk of cavities. Chewing gum also increases the production of saliva, which protects the teeth and prevents a dry mouth.
4. Eating Crunchy Fruits. Instead of enjoying sweet desserts, chew crunchy and healthy fruits instead. It helps keep the teeth clean by removing food particles after a meal. This is another great option if you cannot brush or floss just yet.
5. Using Straw. Many people think that using a straw has nothing to do with your teeth, but straw prevents potential staining of the teeth. If you are fond of drinking soda, use a straw to bypass the teeth, leaving the enamel untouched by the sugar and carbonated acid.
6. Keep a Traveller’s Dental Kit – Many people working in the office and school do not have the opportunity to brush their teeth during lunch, simply because they do not have their toothbrushes and toothpaste with them. However, there is an easy fix for this problem: just put a soft-bristled toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, and dental floss in a small bag and put it in your office desk or locker. This provides your oral health an extra boost and you don’t need to worry about having remnants of lunch stuck to your teeth when you smile.
7. Oil Pulling – This Ayurvedic dental strategy has been used for many years in different countries to remove toxins in the mouth. It works by swishing a mouthful of oil for about 20 minutes. This helps maintain gum health and whitens the teeth.
While these dental hacks help you achieve a healthier and more radiant smile, visiting a dental clinic twice a year is the most ideal way in keeping the mouth, teeth, and gums healthy at all time. It is also essential to have your teeth professionally cleaned by a licensed and qualified dentist. There are dental offices in Burlington for residents of the area so there is no excuse to miss any appointment.